The companies in the machine tool sector are constantly developing sustainable product and manufacturing technologies. They are aware of their responsibility towards people, the environment and society in general. Companies participating in the Blue Competence Machine Tools initiative make a public commitment to abide by the following 12 principles.
PREAMBLE: Our comprehension of trendsetting sustainability is based on the principles of economic success, fairness, respect & responsibility and includes the dimensions of society, ecology & economy. We comprehend sustainable actions in terms of the definition of the Brundtland-report1 and the definitions of the German “Rat für Nachhaltige Entwicklung“2.
1. Sustainability is a crucial part of our company strategy.
2. We create solid business schemes with sustainable values and secure entrepreneurial success.
3. Our technologies and solutions promote worldwide sustainable developments.
4. Sustainable thinking and action are represented in our processes and products.
5. We act with consideration of resources and stand up for climate protection.
6. Our staff is our most valuable asset. We promote engagement and participation.
7. We stand up for keeping the human rights.
8. Our company is a habitat.
9. We take responsibility in our region.
10. We do what we promise!
11. We actively cultivate the network with all participants.
12. We communicate our sustainable action transparently.
 Brundtland-report, 1987: ‘Sustainable development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.’
 Rat für Nachhaltige Entwicklung, 2001: ‘Sustainable development means to consider ecological aspects equal to social and economic aspects. Therefore, sustainable economy means: For our children and grandchildren, we must leave behind us a sound ecological and economic structure.’